Sunday 10 May 2015

Duke of Edinburgh..

On Wednesday night, I am so proud to say, I finally completed my Duke of Edinburgh Silver award and went to Fernwood School, in Wollaton, to pick up the long awaited badge and certificate.

Now, I know many of you are probably thinking that only 'squares' actually do and complete this award, but I cannot tell you how much I have loved the experience.

I started this award back in October 2012 when I was at Bilborough College, a close friend and I thought that it would challenge us and look great on our CV's and UCAS applications.
The first meeting was so surreal, I'd been at college for a month and started to make friends, so entering the Enrichment class was like starting college all over again, I knew nobody. The majority of people were studying History and Maths, and then there was me, a Drama and Performance Studies student- oh dear! Although saying this, it made you talk and meet people you wouldn't necessarily meet in everyday life.

In order to finish the DofE award, you have to complete 4 sections:

Volunteering- 12 months:
In this section, I decided to join a Girlguiding unit for Brownies. In the start, I only had to volunteer for 12 months but ended up staying 2 and a half years, because I loved working with the children and my unit was just fab! Also, this is a beneficial thing to have on your CV's, it shows people skills and that your a well rounded person by giving something back to the community. I would one day like to teach children, not in a formal setting but at a kids club; the experience from this association is golden for a career in childcare.

5th West Bridgford Brownies

Skill- 6 months:

For me, there was only one skill that was vital to learn and that was how to cook. I had a family friend that had qualifications in cooking, so once a week he would come and teach me basic recipes and methods such as victoria sponges or cookies for example and that is where my love for cooking flourished. I am now still a keen baker, and do rather enjoy watching The Great British Bake Off- Mary Berry's cook books are absolutely brilliant (there is a post coming up on recipes soon!).

Brownies- my favourite to bake!




Physical- 3 months:
Being a natural arty person, any type of physical activity, in a gym is just not for me! However this motivated for me to get out and do something. I did gym work with a friend that was training to be a gym instructor. We did some running techniques and training on legs, bums and tums. I must admit I haven't really been back to do anything since then, but plan on furthering this activity more when I go to do my Gold award.

never will anyone see me run, this is how I hope I look!!

Expedition

For the expedition, you have to complete a practice and then a real expedition of 3 days and 2 nights. We completed both of these in the Peak District in the Derbyshire region. This was one of the first times that I'd done anything such as hiking and camping to these extremes. During the practice expedition there were countless arguments between our group, it didn't stop pouring with rain for the whole of the weekend and sadly someone did leave and go home; all of these factors unfortunately did create a divide between the group, so much so that for the real expedition we did change groups. For the real 'trip', there were 5 of us in my group and we all pulled together and helped each other complete something that each and everyone of us didn't think we could

This lady in the middle, was probably the main reason I actually completed this award, she was fab!
Trying our best to keep up group morale (probably lost somewhere!)


For a city girl like me, this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. In the past I have been the person that always starts things but never completes the task. So when I eventually did accomplish the award, something which involves the countryside and the dreaded gym(!!), it does just show if you were put your mind towards it, anyone of you can achieve this award. I am hoping to start my Gold at the end of this month. If anyone has any questions about the award or anything just ask me:-)


Lucy☮



0 comments:

Post a Comment