Wednesday 12 August 2015

Summary of Camp..


So as you can probably tell I have neglected my blog whilst being at camp 100%!! But summer is over at Blue Star Camps, Hendersonville NC. 

I do have to say it was an incredible experience, that if you have the opportunity to do, grab it with both hands. I won't lie to you, it was daunting initially however as soon as I started to make friends (like straight away) it is like 'a home from home'. 

The people that I met are so diverse personally and culturally, it was a real eye opener for me, for how to deal with difficult situations with people that you wouldn't necessarily mix with. There was a real mash up of nationalities: Americian, Australian, South African, New Zealand, English etc; which again did not make it easy because each nationality would react and handle a situation a different way. There was approximately 350 people working at Blue Star (it was a HUGE camp), and the friends that I have made are ones for life!

Life on camp wasn't just a stroll in the park though; it was a 24/7 job that really could take its toll on you! You lived, ate and breathed those children. We worked 6 days a week and you got one day off (23 hours to be precise) and an hour off a day (which most of the time wasn't an hour!!). However even on those days off you would think you'd be sick of your children and the camp, but for some reason you can't stop talking about your cabin and what you are going to do when you get back on camp- it is such a bizarre feeling (almost like word vomit, Mean Girls quote). 

My kids were literally the best cabin, no question! The whole camp is split up into 6 'sub camps': Juniors (6-8), Pioneer Girls and Boys (9-11), Senior Girls and Boys (12-14) and Teen Village (15). I was PG3, which is Pioneer Girls Unit 3 this equals 11 year old girls. Initially I wasn't thrilled, pre-pubescent girls, I have that at home with my sister!! However my girls were incredible, so full of energy and laughter it was hardly a job around them. Other cabins however were a nightmare and would of stressed me out!!

Last but not least, when your a counsellor you receive a co, which is basically your rock for 8 weeks. Mine was a girl called Morgan Rynor, and I can honestly say that I would not have got through the summer without this girl, she is amazing. The way she dealt with situations, personally and professionally was unbelievable. She had this way with words, that made you listen and actually think about the decisions you were making. She definitely got me out of some sticky situations!!

To sum the whole counsellor job up, it is a job that you love to hate and hate to love. It was one of the best experiences of my life, so stressful but equally amazing! Will I be going back next year, you'll have to wait and see.

Signing out Lucy 

0 comments:

Post a Comment